Foundries are the ultimate recyclers. For generations, Waupaca Foundry has created new products out of recycled steel scrap and iron and re-uses many of the raw materials used in creating iron castings. However, foundries are also energy-intensive businesses and it is imperative that Waupaca keeps finding smarter ways to use and preserve the plant's natural resources.
Waupaca Foundry 2023 sustainability goals are as follows:
- Reduce energy intensity by 5% by end of FY 2023, using FY 2019 energy use as the baseline (MMBTU per ton of iron melted)
- Reduce the cumulative electrical consumption carbon footprint 30% by end of FY 2023, via investment in new renewable energy developments facilitated by virtual power purchase agreements (VPPA).
- Maintain air pollution control systems considered as “best available” by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and associated state regulatory agencies for all processes regardless of the original installation date.
- Achieve a cumulative 80% beneficial reuse of spent foundry materials by end of FY 2023 (% tons beneficially reused against total tons generated)
- Reduce water use consumption by 10% by end of FY 2023 (baseline 2020)(gallons)
Waupaca Foundry had a 10-year vision for sustainability with achievable goals for reducing its environmental impact by 2020. The results are in:
- GOAL: Reduce energy use by 25 percent over the next 10 years, using fiscal 2009 energy use as the baseline (mmBtu/ton of iron shipped).
RESULT: Energy intensity was reduced by 21%, but temporarily setback to 17% improvement due to COVID-19 related issues
- GOAL: Maintain air pollution control systems considered as “best available” by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and associated state regulatory agencies for all processes regardless of the original installation date.
- GOAL: Reduce spent foundry sand generation by 30 percent in 10 years (baseline 2010) (tons). Investigate the feasibility of developing alternative uses for remaining foundry byproducts by Calendar 2020.
RESULT: 80% of foundry sand and 74% of all foundry by-products beneficially reused
- GOAL: Reduce water use consumption by 80 percent in 10 years (baseline 2010) (gallons/ton of melt).
RESULT: 71% reduction achieved
Waupaca Foundry maintains an Environment Management System and is registered to ISO 14001 at all foundry locations.
New DNR program to help state organizations collaborate on climate change goals
Ta'Leah Van Sistine | Wisconsin Public Radio #environment
Economic Fallout from Russia's War Ripples Across the Globe
Paul Wiseman and David McHugh | Industrial Equipment News #economy #oil #supplychain
Waupaca Foundry Accepts Better Climate Challenge
Lydia Engelbreth | Waupaca Foundry #energy #innovation #recycle #sustainability
Green Tier empowers organizations who are on the path to sustainability by helping them use a systematic approach to minimize environmental risk. We add value by helping align business objectives with environmental stewardship.Green Tier Participant
"How Can We Become a Practical Green Foundry", a white paper that offers a practical look at how Waupaca Foundry has reduced its energy consumptions and carbon footprint. Presented during CastExpo in 2010 in Orlando, FL and published in AFS Transactions and the International Journal of Metalcasting.Download